November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month Cancer Awareness Month – If you’re a past or present smoker, the habit may have put you at a higher risk for lung cancer.
At NPVMC, our imaging department offers a low dose CT scan to check the lungs for possible red flags.
Who should be concerned about lung cancer?
– If you are between the ages of 50-80 and a current smoker or have quit within the past 15 years.
– If you have a family history of lung cancer.
– If you have had significant exposure to certain hazardous substances such as secondhand smoke, radon gas, asbestos, arsenic, chromium or nickel.
– Lung cancer screenings only take a few minutes and are not painful. No needles are involved whatsoever.
– Screenings can detect signs of lung cancer early – before you have symptoms and when cancer is easier to treat.
– Less than 6% of people at high risk of lung cancer get screened. Lung cancer causes 1 in 5 deaths.
To find out if you’re eligible for a lung cancer screening and to asses your risks, make an appointment with one of our Platte Valley Clinic providers today and see if a screening is right for you.
Call (307) 326-3169 to make an appointment.